Saturday, June 13, 2009

T. Cook's

After working out at the resort's fitness center, we hit the pool and hot tob for just a bit. The weather has actually been really nice today. It's definitely warm, but really wasn't overly hot today. Steven was lounging in his hotel spa robe as I was getting dressed for dinner. I caught this hilarious picture of him taking it easy, eating crackers, and talking on the phone. I'd say he has this vacation thing down.
I had made reservations at the hotel's well-known restaurant, T. Cook's. It is a Mediterranean cuisine. Here's the website if you want to check it out. http://www.royalpalmshotel.com/phoenix-arizona-dining.php


After watching the Food Network today, I would score them highly in food presentation. I took pictures on the sly because I thought everything looked so great! Here was the menu for our dinner tonight.


We started out with bread and a pesto/olive oil dipping sauce. I convinced Steven to try this and he actually liked it!

The first course was a pear and organic mixed green salad with spiced pecans and Maytag blue cheese.


For the main course, Steven and I each ordered the grilled beef tenderloin with a truffle Fontina tart and butter braised salsify. I am not sure what all of this means. You can't really see it from the picture, but the steak was on top of a tart that was made of what I determined to be potatoes and the rest of the ingredients are still a mystery. It may be better if I don't know! We had them leave off the sauce for our steaks and they were delicious!


Dessert was amazing. Steven had Caramel Cheesecake Creme Brulee. It was a caramel cheesecake with a layer of vanilla creme brulee served with fresh berries and guava sauce.

I ordered the Tropical Mousse, which was a really unique dessert. It was a mango mousse and cream cheese filled with fruit (honeydew, cantaloupe, and mango) on a vanilla bisquit served with raspberry sorbet, tropical fruit and mango sauce.
My favorite quote of the night was from the couple sitting next to us, celebrating their anniversary. As they were reviewing the menu, the guy saw the item "Seared George's Bank scallops with Shrimp Mac n' Cheese." He loudly exclaimed, "Mac n' Cheese should be 29 cents, not 29 dollars." I can't say that I disagree with him!


Our table had a view of the open area where some of the entrees from the fireplace were being prepared.

We went for a walk around the hotel after dinner. There was live music playing near the restaurant. Afterwards, it was great to be able to just walk back to our hotel room instead of having to jump in the car and drive home.

1 comment:

  1. lol- the truffle fontina tart, "that was made of what I determined to be potatoes and..." is going down in my book of fabulous torrey kitcken quotes along with boiling water on low. i choked on my coffee when i read that!!! so funny! (dont worry, the ingredients arent scary at all) seriously, i am so proud of you guys though for branching out so much! way to go!!! i NEVER would have thought you two for pesto fans...i'm quite impressed!

    ReplyDelete